Application will open September 1st, 2019
The Terry Scholarship for incoming freshmen provides four-year scholarships for Texas residents. Taking into account other scholarships you may receive and your family’s financial resources, the Terry Scholarship covers tuition, fees, books and on-campus living expenses.
UNT will review all applications and nominate incoming freshmen for the Terry Scholarship. From these nominees, the Terry Foundation will award up to 14 scholarships for the academic year.
The deadline for freshmen applications for the 2020 academic year is Jan. 15, 2020.
To be considered for the Terry Scholarship as an incoming freshman, you must:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- be a Texas resident.
- have a record of leadership in school and community.
- demonstrate strong academic abilities, as evidenced by grades.
- hold a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- have an SAT of 1000 in critical reading and math combined and/or a minimum ACT score of 21.
- demonstrate financial need AND complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- be admitted to UNT as a full-time student in the fall semester of the year awarded.
- reside on campus for the first year at UNT in the Terry Scholar wing of Rawlins Hall and participate in the Terry freshman discovery seminar Honors 1500, which satisfies the University's "Discovery" component of the Core Requirements.
- be a graduate from a Texas high school, or be homeschooled while residing in the state of Texas and receive a Texas high school diploma or equivalent.
The University of North Texas will recommend candidates to the Terry Foundation, who will review the nominations and interview candidates before making awards. The selection criteria used by the Foundation includes financial need, academic achievement, and demonstrated leadership potential. Although financial need is an important factor in the selection process, a student need not qualify for federal assistance in order to meet the Terry Scholar selection criteria. Please know that the University of North Texas serves as a nominating body only; all final decisions regarding scholarship awards are made by the Terry Foundation.
Application Summary and Deadlines
- Complete and submit your application for admission to UNT no later than Dec. 16, 2019.
- Receive admission to the University of North Texas no later than Jan. 15, 2020.
- To be considered, submit your completed Terry Scholarship application together with your other supporting materials, to the UNT Honors College no later than Jan. 15, 2020. There will be no exceptions to this deadline.
- Make sure you have submitted your official high school transcript when you apply to the university.
- Provide two (2) letters of recommendation to Valerie Adell (Valerie.Adell@unt.edu) by Jan. 15, 2020. The letters MUST be submitted by the recommenders.
- File a FAFSA online between Oct. 1, 2019 and Jan. 15, 2020.
- Apply for on-campus housing no later than March 31, 2020. For more information, please refer to the UNT Housing website. First year Terry Scholars are required to live on-campus in a designated Terry Scholar living-learning community.
The Terry Foundation does not accept applications directly from students. Further information about the Terry Foundation may be found at their website.
Submitting your Terry Foundation Freshman Application
As you prepare your application, you are advised to download and save a copy of it so that you can prepare a rough draft with full and complete answers before submitting it online. When you are satisfied with your answers, you should begin the online application. Be sure to edit your essays carefully and stay within in the word limits.
Completed applications are composed of the following components:
- Application - Complete, digitally sign and electronically submit your application.
- Official Transcripts - Submit ALL high school and college transcripts to Valerie Adell (Valerie.Adell@unt.edu). Applicants will be contacted if there are any questions.
- Two Letters of Recommendation – At least one of your letters should be written by one of your core subject teachers (English, math, history, science, language). Both letters should speak to your academic and leadership abilities. These letters must be sent by the recommenders to Valerie Adell via email (Valerie.Adell@unt.edu) or U.S. Mail:
Terry Foundation Freshman Scholarship
c/o Valerie Adell
1155 Union Circle #305309
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Letters of reference must be received by the deadline of Jan. 15, 2020.